Wednesday, July 21, 2010

Weather, Kauni, Needlefood and stuff

Firstly, to all you non believers out there, just to prove we do have decent weather during a Wellington winter, here's a photo of the beach just before sunset no wind well ok the beach is covered in seaweed that got washed up during a southerly storm, but we do still get breathing space between them where we can poke our noses out and enjoy the outdoors!

Today I woke up to find a package from Australia on my doorstep, should I be ashamed I am still sleeping while the courier is already out and about and hard at work? Inside were the four balls of Kauni yarns I had ordered from Knits and Pretties . I had been wanting to try this yarn for a while now, and finding a supplier so close to home just pushed me over the edge. I'm casting on today with the pink (EE) and blue (ES) colour ways to test knit my next hat pattern. While I adore working with the Wollmeise yarns, I do think I need to show my patterns can be worked in other types. I look forward to seeing how the colours of the kauni work together. My first thought was ick, that pink and blue together is just a no, but experience has taught me that it is always the colours that I have that reaction to that end up looking best with each other. No point trying to be too matchy matchy or it just ends up looking blah.

I also need to finish of my first knit of a project bag design, I'm working in needlefood yarn and loving it! it is such a pleasure to knit, it just feels so good on my hands. I'm not sure about the finished size I've ended up with so I think once this one is done I will cast on and tweak my numbers a bit for a smaller one. Not to worry, I have a treasure chest of mini skeins of needlefood to work from and already my mind is racing ahead to an alternate colour work chart for the main body of the bag. I should have plenty left to knit up a finished sample in my newer hat design as well.


No comments:

Post a Comment