Wednesday, February 2, 2011

New year, kind of late

So I found the password again, and Christmas/summer is over and done with, time to start getting serious about things again and turning attention back to moving ahead.

It's raining here today, the weather is driving me indoors and away from the garden, so I think this might be a good time to go through the stash bins and take inventory of what is there before I start getting the urge to add to the collection!

Speaking of urges, I did crumble just a little and ordered some Holst Garn from Denmark, it works out fairly reasonable price with the shipping and it comes in a whopping 120 colours! I just ordered a small 25 gr ball of the wool, and two of the wool silk blend, 75 gr was the limit for the lowest shipping price and I want to get a feel for how it handles and behaves to see if I want to order a colour card. I do love that they actually sell it in 25, 50 and 500 gram amounts, so you can buy as little as you need, or a whole cone which is even cheaper.

This week I am also waiting on my replacement Signature arts circular needles, my other ones developed a but of a split in the cable and I emailed them, they were awesome for service and are replacing them for me, I was also drooling over their straights. I may just have to convert back to knitting on straights just as an excuse to buy myself a pair. I think I need to get some 3mm with stiletto points and bell end caps, such a pretty blue.

I'm also waiting on my third installment of Janel Laidmans colour club, I didn't really need to learn how to colourwork as I have been knitting it for thirty years, but I am a sucker for kit things, something about opening up a package of perfectly sized portions of many colours. So far I have been quite pleased with the yarns, the first was Codex from Sanguine Gryphon, a lovely yarn to work with, though heavier then I usually use and probably too thick for our NZ winters. I made a cowl for my daughter, she might appreciate it while walking to her tourism course in town over winter.

The second project was mittens in Brooklyn Tweed Shelter yarn It is quite a 'rustic' yarn for me, there was a fair bit of vege matter in it to, which is not an issue for me as I knit with noro already. I've not blocked it yet, or washed it, I get the feeling it will soften up a little more, and I am definitely softening up to the more rustic type yarns. I think a mens pullover in shelter would be lovely, but a tad expensive!


No comments:

Post a Comment