Monday, February 21, 2011

Weekend cruising

The man has been dreaming of cruises the last few days. He dragged me out of bed at SIX THIRTY on saturday to go see the Queen Elizabeth II coming into Wellington harbour. It was rather lovely to watch it/her slide in over calm waters and I must admit to feeling a slight bit of pride that the harbour managed to behave nicely weather wise.

P1000965

But now he is talking about cashing in the savings and us heading out on a cruise.. lots of knitting time for me I guess? We looked up the website and he was rather excitedly telling me we could get a room for $35k per head on some three month cruise. I checked it and he was misreading the $350k as $35k.... perhaps a trip across the harbour on the ferry instead.

On Sunday we were up early again, hubby wanted to go for a drive up the coast. We drove up as far as Levin, stopping in Otaki on the way to take a wander around a small craft market. It was fairly much the usual fare, handmade soaps, cheap jewelry, pink acrylic baby knits, jars of jams and pickles, secondhand tools and kitchenwares and plants propogated in yohurt pottles. There was one highlight for me, the pitcher plant man, he had this extraordinary table loaded with pitcher plants in all shades from deep red through to lime green. I find them absolutely fascinating to look at and will definitely return to buy some when I am a little more flush with cash. I should have taken photos, next time I will.

We checked out a few real estate windows, kind of half heartedly really. We've always had the dream of buying a home on a bit of land, keeping chooks and a good sized garden and maybe some pigs. But I think I am just too much of a town type person, I loves me my amenities. I need libraries, shops, activities, beaches, public transport. If I won the lotto would it be crazy and bought out my neighbours for too good to refuse prices, and got rid of their houses so I can play farms without moving? We could have all the work done while we're away on our $350k cruise and return home to our farmlet.

Weekend over and now it is time to get back to serious business. Today I sit down at the computer and make an entirely heroic effort to type up my pattern and NOT distract myself by playing games and reading ravelry posts.

I've knit up a couple of mitts now, and I'm happy with the stitches, I just need to find a way to write up the maybe quirky things that I do when I make stuff. Like when I am picking up stitches to work thumbs, or sleeves in a top down raglan. I always pick up 2-4 extras and then knit two together at key places to get back to the number I am supposed to have. This helps eliminate holes and reduces the pull on the stitches that are right at the apex(?) of the gusset. But how to explain that in just a few words, I hate knitting patterns that become mini novels.

And just to prove I did indeed knit a pair.

P1010018

And this one is evidence of my usual problem.. knitting only one.

P1010016

I am definitely going to get onto that pattern today, there are already people asking if they can test knit it for me. Such positive response to something I made! It's brilliant and I love feeling like I did something right, but there is a small grey cloud hanging over it, I always find that I get a bit stressed worrying that the pattern won't live up to peoples expectations. Should I multi size it or will they all be satisfied with one size doesn't quite fit all? will they be able to knit something that looks like mine?

1 comment:

  1. Your glove pattern is beautiful. I esp love the fern unfurling design. And the charming edgings. So many people seem to be afraid of charm these days. Maybe because it can be overdone so easily, but this is just right, for the effect you're after. And the Wollmeise one is gorgeous in a red-purple and yellow-green, for a punchy, graphic statement. I love both, the delicate yarn in pale colors, and the thicker WM in bold ones. Well done!

    As far as other's expectations and satisfying others--you never will please everyone, so work to satisfy yourself as the artist, and let the rest sort itself out without you. OTOH, knitter peoples can be so satisfied with the darndest things, that it's cute--it reminds me of toddlers liking even the cardboard box a present comes in. So really, with piloting between those two extremes, just do your best design, be professional, and then send it on its way.

    Heck, I'll do some test knitting for those, if you like.

    ReplyDelete